Saturday, October 6, 2012

RFL & Summit

First Blog - Kind of ---I started this blog about a year ago but never actually blogged anything. I figured now would be a good time to start.

RFL & Summit!

Since starting my new job and moving to the Bay Area, I have became involved with the Relay for Life. When I lived in Sacramento, I would participate in the walk but was never really involved. But this year it just felt right! So I went full force, raised money, and stayed the full 24 hours. I was the captain of my team, and well I raised all the money that is listed under the VPA team. I reached out to people for donation. My grandfather, Epa, along with his 3 brother all had prostate cancer, only one is still with us today. My grandmother, Nana, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer on August 28th, 2012. I rallied my family to leave Sacramento to drive to San Ramon to partake in the relay, and I couldn't be more proud. My mom walked 13.5 miles, two days after she had reconstructive surgery on her arm. My father walked 8 miles, he was having difficulty due to old football injuries. I must say I have some tough parents, they are true troopers.

After the completion of the Relay and the Wrap Up Mtg, I was asked/bribed with cupcakes to become a committee member, which was very awesome in my mind! I agreed and they sent me away to Summit! Which was the most amazing experience I haver ever had in my life. Cancer is something that really does affect everyone. I met some of the most amazing people at Summit, a teacher for the deaf and hearing deprived, a marine biologist, a film student, a bio chem student, and so many others. It was just fantastic.

The trip to Summit, started off odd - arriving in OC looking a bit lost because I was unsure what to expect but with Kendra, a fellow SR RFL Committee member, it was easier. We saw some stupid high school kids run and jump on there friend and it broke the ice between quite a few of us Relayers. That is how Kendra and I met the Marine Biologist and the Film Student. Super nice guys, we hung out that evening and pretty much the remainder of Summit. We met the teacher and the bio chem student at our Regional Meeting at they stayed with us the remainder of Summit as well. We danced, we sang, we cried, we laughed, we shared, it was just a moving experience. We became Purple Fighter together! It was an experience I will never forget and hope to be able to partake in again.

Jon Christopher Davis - Singer/Songwriter of Relay For Life ~ Photoshoot for Album Cover  of the Purple Fighters  




No comments:

Post a Comment